By: Kyla Coan
So I am sure you are wondering why you as a student need a personal website, or what a personal website is even used for, so let’s break it down.
A personal website for a student is a great tool to put everything that you couldn’t include in your resume and more! Think you cover letter, letters of recommendation, more information on past job experience, references, and even a bit more information on yourself! A personal website can act as a great supplemental to your resume, which is why I think every student should have one.
I used Wix.com to create my personal website, because it was free and and offered a lot of customization.
They have the option to either use their AI to create your own website, or to use pre-created formats that you can personalize to some degree, I chose to work with their AI, and while my website isn’t finished yet, I am really excited to finish it up and have it ready for people to see!
If you decide to create your own website here are some helpful hints of what to include!
- A Bit About You, this should be information that you can’t put on a resume, but that you might put on a CV. My section talks about growing up overseas, and some of hobbies outside of school.
- Experience, this section gives you a chance to expand on the experiences you have on you resume, because resumes only have so much space.
- References, if you can get in contact with any of your references and ask them to write a shirt blurb about you for you website that would be great! If not, just feel free to list their contact information.
- Contact, I know that you gave them your information on your resume, but its always smart to include this section.
- Pictures! Try to include at least one professional head shot on your about you page, and then use at least 1 picture for each experience.